Our guide to making delicious mocktails for your autumn celebrations using Edenvale premium alcohol-removed wines.
Tips on making amazing autumn mocktails
As more and more people look for healthier alternatives to alcoholic beverages, the popularity of mocktails continues to rise.
Perfect for parties, mocktails are simply cocktails without the alcohol content. They can be nutritious, every bit as delicious as a cocktail and ideal for a healthier lifestyle.
Easy to make and fun to drink, mocktails make the occasion one to remember, especially if you use wines from Edenvale’s premium alcohol-removed range.
The concept of mocktails
It seems that only recently, with the rise of drinks without alcohol, the mocktail has become a party staple. However, believe it or not, mocktails have been around for over 100 years.
Mocktails aren’t simply mixed drinks. A mixed drink is about individual beverages added together, while a mocktail is usually more complex, or ‘fancy’, than a mixed drink and is focused on the overall flavour experience. They often have catchy names and an appearance with a ‘wow’ factor.
Whether you’re catering for people who choose not to have alcohol temporarily or permanently, or if you’re looking for an alternative to fun alcoholic beverages, the mocktail is in a league of its own. It’s fun to make, fun to drink and can be enjoyed by anyone, whether they are committed to an alcohol-free lifestyle or would normally have alcoholic drinks.
Some tips on making amazing mocktails
Apart from the alcohol, the same tips go for mocktails as they do for their alcoholic counterparts.
- Be creative, be daring. The mocktail possibilities are endless and are only limited by your imagination. You can impress your friends with your mocktail-making skills using a recipe that has as few as three ingredients, while others are complex and require a good understanding of the ingredients and the process of making them.
- Use good quality ingredients. For the wine content, you can’t go past Edenvale’s range. If using fresh fruit and herbs, look for what’s in season. Apples, pears, citrus fruits and bananas are in season during autumn. Mint, rosemary and parsley are plentiful in autumn and great to use in mocktails.
- Ice is an important ingredient in mocktails, however, remember that ice melts to water and water dilutes the flavour of your mocktail. Consider that the more ice you use, the slower it will melt. An alternative to chill your mocktail is to use frozen fruit or juice.
- Avoid making it too sweet. Some recipes call for adding sugar, honey or syrups. Consider the sugar content of your other ingredients and you probably won’t need to add sugar.
- Don’t swamp the base ingredients with other flavours. For example, when using an Edenvale alcohol-removed wine, allow the flavour of the wine to shine through.
- If you create a great new recipe of your own, make sure you write it down or record it in some way so you can make it again and again.
- Make it look good. Appearance has a big role to play in mocktails. Use an impressive glass and pre-chill it in the fridge if necessary. Add a final touch of herbs to garnish, a wedge of lemon or lime, a strawberry or a maraschino cherry.
The most important ingredient is fun. Mocktails are celebratory drinks that always make a hit at parties. Have fun while you make it, have fun while you drink it.
Delicious autumn mocktail recipes
Autumn is not as hot as summer or as cool as winter. So, you want mocktails that fit that temperate in-between. Choose fruit and herbs that are plentiful in autumn.
Here are two of our favourite mocktail recipes that are ideal for parties and celebrations during the autumn months. Both were created by our friend Nat from The Mindful Mocktail.
Red Wine Ginger Spritzer
This one was designed for the festive season but is equally ideal for the cooler autumn months. It pairs the robust flavours of Edenvale Premium Reserve Sparkling Shiraz with ginger beer to create a deliciously refreshing drink.
- 3 parts Edenvale Premium Reserve Sparkling Shiraz
- 1-part good quality ginger beer
- Squeeze of lime (about half a tablespoon)
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Add the Sparkling Shiraz and ginger beer. Stir gently.
- Add a squeeze of lime and stir again.
- Garnish with your choice of herbs or fruit, such as rosemary and cherries.
Sparkling White Sangria
Here’s a delicious twist on a white wine sangria featuring Edenvale’s Premium Reserve Blanc de Blanc. This classic mocktail is full of sweet citrus flavours and is ideal for a daytime weekend party.
- 1 bottle Edenvale Premium Reserve Blanc de Blanc
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- 1 lime, sliced into rounds
- 5 strawberries to garnish (optional)
- A few sprigs of mint to garnish (optional)
- Place lemon, lime and orange into a jug. Add the maple syrup and muddle gently to release the juices from the citrus.
- Add the orange juice and stir.
- Gently pour in the Blanc de Blanc, then stir gently and add some ice to the jug.
- Slice some strawberries and add them to the mixture.
- Serve in ice-filled wine glasses with some extra citrus, berries and mint.
There are more tried and tested mocktail recipes to enjoy during autumn on our Mocktail page. As always, if you’d like some advice on your mocktail making, contact us using the form below.