The weather is getting warmer, and the days are becoming longer, which can only mean one thing – it's picnic season! Time to pack some food and drinks, gather your favourite people, enjoy the sunshine and roll out the blankets for a picnic to remember.
To get you in the mood, here is some inspiration to help you plan the perfect (healthy) picnic this spring.
When it comes to choosing the right picnic location, the possibilities are endless. Whether it’s at a park, beach, riverside, backyard, lake, mountain top, forest or national park, consider the view, ambience you’re trying to create and practicalities of setting up outdoors.
Ideally, the perfect picnic spot will have a picturesque outlook, secluded nooks and lots of shade. Find a relaxing location where you can include a brisk walk or other fun activities such as a game of cricket, hula hoop challenge, outdoor twister or ring toss.
Create a theme
Once you’ve picked the location, decide on a theme to take your picnic to the next level. Some popular themes include vintage, classic, boho, rustic, modern, beachy and colourful. Then incorporate accessories and other décor such as table arrangements, plates, rugs, cushions, tableware, glasses, flowers, baskets and hampers to help pull your theme together for a cohesive, insta-worthy look guaranteed to impress your guests.
Of course, no picnic would be complete without the essentials including blankets, comfy pillows, chairs, portable tables and shade umbrellas to make lounging in the outdoors a more enjoyable experience.
When entertaining outside, it’s important to remain well hydrated. So, ensure your esky is filled with plenty of refreshing beverages (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) everyone can enjoy. Add some lemon slices, strawberries, mint, cucumber, lime or watermelon to still water or soda for a thirst-quenching hit. Freshly squeezed juice, kombucha and iced tea are also great healthy options.
For those who prefer an alcoholic beverage, include a variety of beer, wine and sparkling wine or if you’re taking a break from alcohol but still want to feel like you’re part of the occasion, we recommend bringing along some non-alcoholic drinks.
Edenvale’s Sparkling Cuvee and Aperitivo Spritz cans are the perfect alcohol-free option for celebrating outdoors. The convenient slim-line cans are easy to carry and are packed with the refreshing taste of sparkling, flavour-filled bubbles, minus the alcohol. For wine drinkers, Edenvale’s true-to-varietal alcohol-removed wines are non-intoxicating and full of flavour, making them a healthier alternative. Choose between popular drops Shiraz, Chardonnay, Pink Moscato and Rosé. No need to nominate a designated driver or catch a rideshare home!
Delicious picnic spread
When it comes to putting on a great picnic spread, the main things to consider are the dietary requirements of guests and ensuring meals are both nutritious and safe. Choose foods that won’t wilt, melt or spoil outdoors, are easy to consume and will keep everyone full and energised.
The following are some healthy picnic food ideas to pack in your basket:
- Grazing Boards – Fill them with lots of tasty options including fruit, cheese, crackers (seeded, wholegrain, rice), nuts, trail mix, veggies, dips and charcuterie. The more colourful, the better. A colourful spread looks beautiful and draws hungry bellies to the table. Grazing boards involve very little preparation, pack well and are easy to set up once you arrive at your picnic destination.
- Mason Jars – Not only do they look pretty but you can throw just about anything in them from salads and soups to desserts. Mason jars add a fun and practical twist to picnics – they are also great for preventing ingredients from getting soggy! An added bonus is the minimal clean up afterwards. Tick.
- Fruit Kebabs – Another fun picnic snack idea that offers delicious flavours, textures and most importantly, hydration. Thread a colourful arrangement of luscious fruits like watermelon, pineapple, rockmelon, honeydew, strawberries and kiwi, or if you are short on time, include a rainbow platter of mouth-watering seasonal fruits.
- Salads – Cold pasta salad is one of the simplest and delicious sides to serve at any kind of picnic. Other healthy salads include parsley tabbouleh, wild-rice, beetroot, quinoa and grains. Serve with wholemeal pita bread.
- Wraps & Rolls – Create a selection of wraps with various fillings such as roasted vegetables, falafel, chicken and roast beef or fill rice paper rolls with ingredients of your choice and serve with dipping sauce on the side.
- Sweet Treats – Bliss balls are a great healthy option, will give you lots of energy and satisfy even the sweetest tooth. Make them ahead of time for a no-fuss, guilt-free sweet picnic treat. For a hint of romance, finish off your meal with dark chocolate squares, coconut date rolls, brownies or chocolate-dipped strawberries.
Picnics are a great opportunity to take advantage of the beautiful weather, enjoy nature and spend quality time with family and friends. So, head outdoors this spring and have fun!
Stock up on the Edenvale alcohol-removed range for your next picnic. Shop Edenvale online. Or find us in your local Coles, Woolworths, IGA, Dan Murphy’s, and from independent online retailers, supermarkets and bottle shops.